Even if your college doesn’t have a Chapter, your involvement with Public Relations Student Society of America is still possible through a special affiliate membership. Here are five key reasons to become involved in PRSSA on campus or virtually:
1) Internships –Agencies and firms across the country have employees with PRSSA backgrounds and will look to our internship center to post their newest availabilities. As a dues-paying member of PRSSA you will receive the opportunity to view these postings, which are unavailable to non-PRSSA members.
2) Scholarships – PRSSA has over $30,000 in scholarships and awards for our members to apply for. We realize your education is an expense and through countless opportunities we are proud to help you lessen the amount of student loans you take.
3) Events –Each year, from coast-to-coast, there are conferences for you to attend featuring guest lectures and sessions from top professionals in the field that will allow you to network with students from around the country.
4) News & Intelligence – Publishing articles nationally isn’t always an opportunity for students, but as an affiliate member of PRSSA you’re able to become published from the minute you pay your dues! From an area of expertise, interesting media stories or professional development tips, the opportunities for topics are endless. If you’re more interested in reading industry news, FORUM, PRSSA’s national newspaper, is produced three times each year and distributed to all PRSSA members.
5) Network – There are more than 11,000 members of PRSSA currently and you have the opportunity to network with them all. Through exclusive directories available to PRSSA, you are also able to connect with professionals willing to help in every aspect of your career.
PRSSA as an affiliate member may seem difficult because you don’t have a weekly meeting to attend on campus regarding everything discussed above, but you have the opportunity to take advantage of them all. We’re here to serve as a resource; a network of colleagues, an information center or that extra push you need in landing your dream job. To become a member of PRSSA visit www.prssa.org/about/Join/
Jordan Paquet, 2014-2015 vice president of member services, is a senior public relations major with an electronic journalism minor at Northern Michigan University. Twitter @Jordan_Paquet.