One of my favorite student awards programs took place earlier this week at the University of Oklahoma where the Lindsey + Asp agency recognized 25 exceptional public relations, advertising, digital and creative undergraduates. During the five years of the program, it’s been an honor that the award recognizing a student mentor and leader is named after this blog.
The 2015 Culpwrit Award was presented to Dea Pennington, a public relations senior at the University of Oklahoma, for her outstanding work as an account lead at Lindsey + Asp and as PRSSA Vice President of Professional Development. Through Lindsey + Asp and PRSSA, Dea has become a multi-faceted young professional who continues to serve as a mentor to many public relations undergraduates.
A Sooner native, Dea was the first OU student elected to the PRSSA National Committee. She has had numerous internships with organizations including Ketchum and Jones Public Relations. Upon graduation, Dea is expected to accept a position with 7-Eleven Corporate in Dallas, Texas.
“As the first person in the 54-year history of the Stewart Harral Chapter of PRSSA to be elected to the National Committee, Dea epitomizes everything which the Culpwrit Award signifies. Her ability to teach others and facilitate their growth as a student leader speaks to the standard set by this award. We are very proud of her accomplishments and thank Ron Culp for his continued sponsorship of these awards,” said Bob “Pritch” Pritchard, APR, Fellow PRSA, and Lindsey + Asp Faculty Adviser.
Since opening the student-run agency in August 2009, Lindsey + Asp has grown into a place where students get hands-on experience and build meaningful relationships with local professionals. The 2015 Lindsey + Asp award recipients are:
- Culpwrit Award: Dea Pennington
- Edelman Excellence Award: Micaela Benedetti
- Oklahoma City PRSA New Professional Award: Niki Lohr
- Saxum Powerhouse Award: Sarah Johnson
- Schnake Turnbo Frank Servant Leadership Award: Carly O’Donnell
- Professional Accomplishment Award: Nathan Robertson & Jake Bescherer
- Anglin PR Commitment Award: Liz Breitschopf
- Outstanding Video Team Member: Melanie Foster
- Outstanding Digital Team Member: Jamie Harrison
- Outstanding Creative Team Member: Ashley Morgan & Landon Ferguson
- Outstanding Creative Intern: Sammi McDowell
- Outstanding Advertising Team Member: Cameron Colan
- Outstanding Public Relations Team Member: Kaitlin Stringer
- Outstanding Media Team Member: Carly O’Donnell
- Emerging Advertising Leadership Award: Kendal Coker & Alex Len
- Emerging Public Relations Leadership Award: Jared Deimund
- Outstanding Public Relations Senior: Kate Brannen
- Outstanding Advertising Senior: Trevor Morse
- Special Acknowledgement: Casey Scull