I started working in politics while in college as an intern for the New York State Legislature and then switched to a career in public relations consulting, specializing in crisis public relations and reputation management consulting.
I am also a national talking head/TV news commentator regarding reputations in crisis seen weekly on CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, ESPN, CNBC, BBC, TruTV and others. I am known in the business as “the Reputation Doctor.” A nickname given to me many years ago by a client. I have been in the business now 20 years and 15 years at my own firm.
Here is my career capsule:
– Intern, New York State Assemblyman Vincent Leibell (3 months)
– Legislative Aide, New York State Senator Nicholas Spano (6 months)
– Legislative Aide, U.S. Senator Alfonse M. D’Amato (1 year)
– Deputy Research Director, Friends of Senator D’Amato ’92 Campaign (1 1/2 years)
– Senior Associate (Aviator Management Training Program), Burson-Marsteller (1 1/2 years)
– Vice President and Senior Counselor of Public Affairs, Hill & Knowlton (1 1/2 years)
– Global Managing Director of Business Strategy, Marketing and Communications, MCI Systemhouse (1 year)
– Founder, President and Senior Counselor, MGP & Associates PR (15 years)
– Executive Vice President of Marketing, Advertising and Communications, New York City Economic Development Corporation (Mayor Rudolph Giuliani) (1 year leave of absence from my firm 1998 – 1999)
More about Mike’s memberships, boards and online presence can be found in his his full Career Capsule.