Our presentation on how young PR talent can stand out highlighted advice from two dozen PR senior and junior PR professionals. Kevin summed up key themes from their comments with the following Top 10 list:
10. Don’t try to hog credit for yourself. Be a team player.
9. Don’t become complacent. Senior managers want restless young talent who will always seek ways to contribute.
8. Don’t be a Debby Downer. Managers notice and gravitate toward a positive attitude.
7. Don’t lose your sense of curiosity. Young professionals bring invaluable creative ideas to the table.
6. Don’t let the world pass you by. Keep up with the news, and study the outlets you pitch. All of them.
5. Don’t force a square peg into a round hole. Just find a need in your organization and fill it.
4. Don’t show a sense of entitlement—everybody must pay their dues. Long nights. Early mornings. Working weekends.
3. Don’t throw your coworkers under the bus. Or take credit for work you didn’t complete.
2. Don’t confuse activity with results.
1. Don’t over think it. Quality matters.
During weeks ahead, this blog will feature career advancement tips from practitioners who generously shared their thoughts and suggestions.