I recently had the good fortune to be the only guy at dinner with 78 dynamic women.
I helped arrange pro bono PR support for Camp CEO, sponsored by the Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana, so they invited me to the group’s reunion dinner where high school and college-age young women reunited with C-suite executives who went to camp with them over the past three summers. It’s an amazing program, and the women PR volunteers were so inspired that they already have signed on again for next year.
Girl Scout Board Member and Camp CEO chair Mary Lee Montague, EVP for the executive recruiting firm DHR International, is so passionate about the program that she has agreed to chair the week-long camp for the fourth year in a row. Camp CEO helps young women better understand and navigate the business world.
Mary Lee closed the dinner by unsealing a list of top-of-mind “words of wisdom” that had been shared by the executive women while participating in this year’s camp program called “Dreaming Your Future”. These short phrases are motivational for everyone, not just Girl Scouts:
- You don’t always know what you want to be when you grow up until you get there.
- Have the courage to make the change.
- Move to new places…a wonderful world out there!
- Be a good listener.
- Have the courage to stand alone.
- Whatever you do be the best at it you can be.
- Leadership is…the ability to bring the best out of people.
- Create the Unexpected.
- Find your passion in life.
- What will you do to bring hope to others?
- You can have everything but not all at the same time.
- Find your voice.
- If you come to a bump in the road don’t make it a mountain.
- Treat people with respect; Tell them the truth.
- Consistently challenge yourself.
- You may have to reinvent yourself.
- Partnering is key.
- Leading is not about being the boss…it’s about having people follow you.
- Get away from people who don’t believe in you.
- Show up on time!