I was hired for my first post-graduation job five days before I graduated. I have a B.A. in public communication and work as a website admin & social media strategist.
I’m often asked how I landed a job so quickly, and I’m inclined to say sheer luck, but honestly it was more like 70% planning, 10% networking, and 10% luck. Here’s the plan I created for myself:
Two years before graduation:
- Obtain internship(s) for real-world training
- Find a mentor to learn from and to network with (A good mentor will be able to introduce you to many other influential people)
Two semesters before graduation:
- Post resume on major recruiting sites
- Monitor which companies are hiring most often
- Research top 10 companies to work for in the area
-Upload resume to their sites
Two months before graduation:
- Start applying to every job you see that fits with your skill set
- Reach out to your mentor or anyone else in your network to see if they know of any jobs you might be a fit for
My advice for those out there searching the job market: make as many connections as possible and keep fighting the good fight. Don’t let your resume go stale just because you’re out of work. You can volunteer, intern, and/or freelance.
You should do whatever it takes to keep building your skill set. I was fully prepared to do all of the above, and in fact I am still doing all of the above. In addition to my job, I intern with Come Recommended and freelance when I have time. One should never stop learning or adding skills to their resume because these are truly the keys to landing a good career.